By Sandra Evans
Bicycling guides provide you with an easy way to learn about the best routes in the state, both urban and rural. And because they contain route maps and advice, they are great to take with you on rides for reference. With a guide, will be able to learn what to expect before you hit the road.
Listed below are five of the most popular Texas bicycling route guides:
1. Best Bike Rides Texas- Written by Andy White, this book contains biking routes from all over the state. Route lengths range from 15 to 100 miles, making this book perfect for cyclists of all levels. Informational route maps are included. Available at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com.
2. Mountain Biking Texas- Written by Christopher D. Hess, this guide also contains maps for suggested routes throughout the state of Texas for all cycling levels. Also included is insider advice about each region’s trails, historic background information, trip preparation and trail ratings for physical and technical difficulty. Available at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com.
3. Mountain Biking Central Texas- Written by Rick and Becky Youman, this guide is unique, because it includes directions to each route’s nearest swimming or refueling spot. With over 50 trails, this book contains bicycling options for all levels with maps and descriptions. Available at Amazon.com.
4. Mountain Bike! Texas and Oklahoma- Written by Chuck Cypert, this guide contains great bike routes in Texas and Oklahoma. Because this book carries a more conversational and humorous tone, you will find it both educational and enjoyable to read. Contains historical side notes for each trail. Available at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com.
5. Hiking and Backpacking Trails of Texas: Walking, Hiking and Biking Trails for All Ages and Abilities- Written by Mickey Little, this book contains detailed information for hiking, backpacking and biking through the Texas rural landscape. Though it is not specifically a bicycling guide, it is a good beginner guide for hikers who enjoy occasional biking. Available at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com.
Sandra Evans owns the website Sports Management Degrees. In her leisure time, she enjoys playing tennis and writing.
By Sandra Evans